Wednesday 2 May 2012

morning tea treat

I have won tickets to a High Tea event being hosted by Random House Publishers. So off to Brisvegas this Sunday, child free! I am excited just thinking about it.



The above image is taken from this blog. Looks like a gorgeous High Tea and makes me want to create one for my friends.

I'm a little sceptical about Sunday's High Tea. Although I've had my fair share of luck and won some lovely things in the past - I have a feeling that everyone who entered won tickets. But I'm still going and I'll tell you how it was...


Speaking of Tea time - I whipped up a batch of these for the blossom and possums' school lunch boxes. 

Ginger Oat Slice

Ingredients:
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup wholemeal flour 
(you can omit the wholemeal and just use plain flour - I like the extra fibre) 
1 1/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup coconut
150g butter
1 tablespoon treacle
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon mixed spice
grated zest of 1 lemon (or orange)

Method:
Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan forced). Grease and line 28cm x 18cm slice pan.

Combine flour, oats, sugar and coconut in a bowl.

Place butter, treacle and honey in a saucepan over low heat and stir until the butter is melted. Remove from heat.

Combine boiling water and soda in a tea cup and add to the butter mixture. It will foam up! Add the spices and zest to the mixture.

Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.

Tip into prepared tin and smooth surface with the back of a spoon. Mark squares before you put into the oven.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and sightly firm on top.
Re-cut the squares that you marked prior to baking.


This recipe is my take on the Anzac Slice recipe that you can find here. My version has the super delicious flavours of gingerbread and a little less sugar than the original recipe.


Y Cate

Images


1 comment:

  1. How wonderful Cate...enjoy yourself even if it isn't a "genuine" win! I'll have to give your recipe a try some day. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete